What is Wild Ones® Natural Landscapers Ltd? Wild Ones is a national not-for-profit organization with local chapters that teaches about the many benefits of growing native wildflowers in people’s yards.
What is a native plant? A native plant is a species that occurs naturally in a particular region, ecosystem and/or habitat and was present in North America prior to European settlement.
Wild Ones 2015-2017 Strategic Plan
Using an issues-based planning approach, the Wild Ones Board and interested members developed a three-year strategic plan to guide the organization as it moves forward. As a starting point, a broad survey was taken by Board, staff and members which surfaced four key action items. This document provides detail on each action item, the goals we set and an abbreviated plan for each goal.
Wild Ones: Native Plants, Natural Landscapes promotes environmentally sound landscaping practices to preserve biodiversity through the preservation, restoration and establishment of native plant communities. Wild Ones is a not-for-profit environmental education and advocacy organization.
Our mission stems from our respect for the other species on this planet and future generations. We will treat each other – our staff, members and volunteers – with respect at all times. We respect different tastes in landscaping but also ask that others show respect for the common good by considering how they can conserve resources and improve the environment via the inclusion of native plants in their landscapes.
Our members value the opportunity for direct contact with other Wild Ones members and the ability to “learn locally.” This sets Wild Ones apart from many similar organizations. Networking and education are our most important functions.
Appreciation – Volunteers are the Heart of Wild Ones
To keep our dues low and our efforts local, Wild Ones is a grass-roots organization that runs primarily on volunteer effort. We will continue to rely on volunteers to carry our mission forward. We will support our volunteers and recognize their efforts, especially those in volunteer leadership positions.
All Members are Valuable Members
At the national level our income is largely derived from member dues and donations. We appreciate all members, respecting that everyone has varying priorities and demands on their time which impact their ability to volunteer.
Fresh and Adaptable
While we stay focused on our core abilities and goals we will continually look for and solicit ideas from our Board, our members and honorary directors for new strategies that we might use to further our goal of promoting sustainable landscape practices.
WILD Center (Wild Ones Institute of Learning and Development)
Established in 2008, the WILD Center located at 2285 Butte des Morts Beach Road in Neenah, Wisconsin serves as a living laboratory by:
- Establishing a permanent Wild Ones headquarters to provide a tangible presence of ourselves on a national level
- Developing demonstration gardens using native plants and natural landscaping
- Promoting environmental awareness in the community
- Providing environmental science opportunities and a research site
- Preserving and restoring a portion of the West Shore of Little Lake Butte des Morts
- Protecting the Fox River and the Great Lakes Watershed
- Serving as a model for sustainable landscaping and restored habitat
Wild Ones Natural Landscapers Ltd web site has two primary goals:
- Provide information about the Wild Ones organization and native plant landscaping to members, potential members and other interested people
- Strengthen local chapters by helping them communicate with their members and by encouraging the exchange of good ideas among chapters.
For more information:
- Vision statement – our vision for our future
- History of Wild Ones – how we got where we are today
- People of Distinction – some of the key people who have helped to shape our organization
- WILD Center – Wild Ones Institute for Learning and Development
- Press Kit – complete information about Wild Ones for Media professionals
- National Board Members – current list of our national board
- Honorary Directors – find out about the exceptional list of honorary directors